Inviting new users
When you're ready to add new users to your account, you can do so by following these simple steps:
- Sign-in to the Gencove Platform
- On the left side of your screen, navigate to and click on the Organization tab
- Once on the Organization page, you'll notice a blue button to "Invite members". Click on this button and you'll be able to enter your new user's email address and Role (explained below).
Managing User Roles
There are 6 main roles that users, interacting with the Gencove platform, can be assigned. These roles are Member, Uploader, Viewer, Analyst, Manager and Owner. When a new account is opened with Gencove, all users associated with that account are automatically assigned the "Owner" role.
Each role is subsequently assigned a specific set of permissions, both on an organization and project level.
Please note: Organization- and project-level permissions are additive, i.e., the resulting project-level permissions are a union of the user's organization-level permissions and their project-level permissions. One consequence of this is that organization-level permissions cannot be "downgraded" at the project level. For example, if a user has the "Owner" role at the organization level, their project-level permissions for project A will not be reduced by setting their project-level role to "Manager" for project A.
|Update user profile||+||+||+||+||+||+|
|View all projects & download data||—||—||+||+||+||+|
|Run sample analysis||—||—||—||+||+||+|
|Create & edit project(s)||—||—||—||—||+||+|
|Invite & manage users||—||—||—||—||—||+|
|Access billing portal||—||—||—||—||—||+|
(+ means these are actions the user make, — are the actions a user cannot make)
In addition to assigning roles to users at the organization level, a subset of the roles listed above may also be assigned to users at the project level as needed. This provides users who have basic access to the organization (say Member or Uploader roles) with escalated privileges to a subset of projects as needed.
To assign a project-level role to a user, the user MUST have already been added on the organization level via the standard invitation process (mentioned above). Then followed these steps:
- On the left side of your screen, navigate to and click on the My Projects tab
- Select the relevant project name, in this example, Cattle
- Click on the blue link "Manage members"
- The next screen will show you all of the users currently assigned to that project, in this example there is only one. To add to the list, click on the blue button "Add members". You'll be able to select the users you wish to add to this project and assign their roles to this specific project.